My new dress is actually not that new as it has been finished since October and has been worn often since then. Last week I showed a selfie of my outfit wearing this dress on Instagram and I was suprised by the positive reactions. This was just the push that I needed to finally finish this blog post. Ever since I watched the movie Hair years ago, I have been a fan of hippie/bohemian fashion. Unfortunately, I had to learn the hard way that this type of fashion is just not meant for me as it looks downright customy, when I wear it. That’s why I’m really happy to finally own a dress that has the perfect amount of boho for me with its wide sleeves. Outfit pictures will follow tomorrow.

[stextbox id=”grey”]Pattern: Burdastyle #117 08/2016

Difficulty: ●●○○○

Size: 36 (my usual size)[/stextbox]

Sewing time incl. cutting: I finished this during a weekend and assume that it took me around 10 hours to sew it as it is lined.

Costs: I bought the rayon fabric at the infamous fabric market at the Maybachufer in Berlin. The price was only 4 €/m, but the fabric seems to have some printing mistakes. I’m not sure that the orange flecks are intentional but it doesn’t really matter with this print. The cost for this dress was in total around 25 € with a Nevaviscon lining for 10 €/m and an invisible zipper.

Pattern modification:  I did not change a lot about this pattern. I shortened the dress to the length of the lining pattern piece as I did not have enough fabric. As I did not want to cut the front apart, I glued the two front pieces together at the dividing seam to form a breast dart. Next time, I would take some of the width away at the sleeve hem as it is quite a lot of width that has to be gathered, which makes it a little uncomfortable.

Conclusion: I usually prefer to sew and wear skirts over dresses as I usually have the feeling that I can’t style them differently. However, this dress looks just as good by itself as styled with a jacket on top. I’m also really liking this pattern as it fits well and is comfortable to wear. I can imagine making again from a different printed or even solid coloured fabric, just with a slight sleeve adjustment as described above.

[Verlinkt bei Creadienstag]